Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day 6: Your Last Random Act of Kindness - 31 Day Blog Challenge

I'm a big believer of Karma so I try to do good, pay-it-forward, give what I can and spread positivity wherever I can. As said by Martin Kornfield, one of my favorite quotes is, "If we all do one random act of kindness daily we might just set the world in the right direction." I honestly can't remember my most recent random act of kindness. I usually start to feel and even act awkward when and if people praise me. I don't want the bragging rights or recognition. But I do love the opportunity to spread good or spread the word of ways to help those in need.

Stumped, I asked my husband if he noticed any do-good moments from me recently . He listed a few things and then he mentioned Hurricane Sandy. Yes it was four months ago but the destruction still breaks my heart every day. And then moments like this immediately heal me.

The day Sandy hit my Husband and I were due to fly home from our honeymoon into Newark at the height of the storm Tuesday night. Our flight was of course one of the thousands cancelled and we couldn't get another flight home for five days. We spent the next 24 hours glued to the news, the internet, our phones, as I logged so many hours Facetiming my daughter, texting and calling family and friends back home in New Jersey and New York City. It was heartbreaking to hear and watch the damage to their homes and properties. Sandy brought me to tears as I felt helpless sitting in paradise as a spectator to the worst disaster my family, my friends, and my home state has ever experienced. I wanted to do something to help but couldn't.

We offered up our empty house that miraculously still had power and heat to my Husbands parents who were like the majority of the state without either. And as soon as we got back home to New Jersey, before I even unpacked my suitcases, I grabbed a box of garbage bags and headed for every closet in my house. So many families lost everything, their entire houses with all of their possessions. They needed simple necessities like soap and blankets and warm coats. I gave what I could with what I had and filled 4 bags and two boxes that made their way to the shelters throughout the state. That's all we can do, give what we can.

It may have happened four months ago but the cleanup and rebuilding and devastation is still real. The images may be absent from the 24/7 news reel but help is still needed.


  • And of course a huge economy booster for our state still struggling to recover financially is our shore! Rebuilding has already begun at our beaches and the iconic Seaside rollercoaster in the ocean is soon to be demolished but our shores and ecosystems still need help. Find out how you can help at Save the Jersey Shore.

Join the 31 Day Blog Challenge!

3 comments:

Cristy S said...

Thanks for bringing this to light. I wish I were closer so I could help physically, but thanks to your links maybe I can help in others ways. After tornado season here in Oklahoma I try to help as much as I can. Good job and very sweet gestures.

Frank said...

http://www.blogcdn.com/weather.aol.com/media/2013/01/flag-sandy-roller-coaster-575-1357674137.jpg

Unknown said...

Thanks Cristy! It never takes much to help :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...