Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 21: What's Your Biggest Fear? - 31 Day Blog Challenge

I have quite a few fears. Most of them I find absolutely ridiculous for me (not as phobias in general just that I managed to develop these specific fears). But they just kind of happened. I have read that you can develop these so-called "ridiculous" fears as the result of a traumatic experience in life. I would say there is truth to that as I never had these ridiculous fears before my daughter was born premature. I'm gaining more control of over these fears though  when they start to set. These fears of course involve me not having complete control over a situation or myself. I could get all psychoanalytical here but I won't. What's important is that I understand why I fear these things so that I can conquer them.

These ridiculous fears are claustrophobia and a fear of heights. Neither of these ever terrified me when I was younger. Now I cant even drive over those ridiculously long and high bridges into New York City without feeling both claustrophobic with how narrow the roadway is and acrophobia (yes I Googled that) from how high above the water we are. I have a lot of trouble driving through tunnels as well. And Tiny confined spaces like cruises are terrifying! I will have a chance to work on this fear soon hopefully as my mother wants us all to go cruising to Bermuda to celebrate her upcoming 60th birthday. Wish me luck that I won't need to be sedated to walk through those tiny corridors. There will be lots of meditation because I don't think there is enough room for yoga in a cruise stateroom.

I also fear natural disasters. The past 2 years has brought unusual weather to New Jersey. We get some pretty bad thunderstorms and winter Nor'easters but hello tornadoes, earthquake and two bad hurricanes in the last two years. The main fear I have of these disasters is trees falling on houses because it happened to us 4 years ago in a freak storm that included twisters and strait-line winds. So every time we have a thunder or snow storm those trees terrify me. This fear I don't think I can conquer but I can cut down the insanely large trees that are entirely too close to our house. Which kind of sadly is happening any day now.

And lastly, as every mother will tell you. I fear ANYTHING bad happening to my daughter. No need to elaborate on this one but this fear takes precedence over anything else. That worry is constantly in the back of my head and I'm sure it always will be.

 ********
Join the 31 Day Blog Challenge!

Are you keeping up with the challenge? Head over to Fabulous Finds by Tiffany to link up and read about other bloggers fear. Or you can check out my past Blog Challenge posts here:

1 comment:

Emily Stephens said...

Hmm...I wonder if I have claustrophobia, too. I hate small, confined spaces. I don't mind heights as long as there is something sturdy under my feet. I don't like tall buildings with observation decks - too scary!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...