Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 26: What's Your Favorite Food? - 31 Day Blog Challenge

(I'm a day late. I just worked two 12 hour days. Please forgive me.)

I currently have a love-hate relationship with food. I have always been sensitive to soy but toward the last few months of last year I became completely intolerant. I cannot consume it all now which is near impossible if you've read the ingredient labels on most foods at the supermarket. It's used as a preservative in almost everything from dressings, bread, snack foods, even ice cream! My favorite hummus and coffee creamer also use soy. As I read more and more labels over the last few months I've become really disgusted with the ingredients found in American Food. As a result we're working on transitioning our kitchen to a fresher kitchen (many trips to the farm market) with very little processed foods so we all can eat the same (soy free) meal.

But like I said, it's a love-hate relationship because I haven't had the time to really find tasteful recipes. Most of what I've been eating is the same few things over and over. I've been soy free for three months now and it hasn't been easy. But the immediate side effect I felt was that my chronic migraines (I'm talking 8-10 days of every month) have completely vanished. It's been since early December since I've had my last migraine. It's amazing the effect processed food has on you. Eliminating it has been the best thing for me. I still get frustrated at my lack of options though which is why I made it a goal of mine to master some new recipes by adding it to my 30 Before 30 List.

At least I still have pizza and double stuffed Oreos! (Regular oreos have soy, double stuff don't, this makes no sense to me.) I live in New Jersey so it's only natural that I consider pizza a food group. I must consume it at least once per week. And it must be from a local family owned pizza place. I sure do have my options too because there's at least 100 pizza places (probably even double that number) within driving distance to me. Now when I say pizza, I mean REAL pizza. Not a chain, not frozen pizza, real pizza made by the countless Italian immigrants that have opened up shops in New York and New Jersey. (I still maintain that Jersey Pizza is better than NYC Pizza). You cannot say you don't like pizza until you've had Real Pizza.

******** 
Join the 31 Day Blog Challenge!

Are you keeping up with the challenge? Head over to Fabulous Finds by Tiffany to link up and read about other bloggers favorite foods. Or you can check out my past Blog Challenge posts here:

1 comment:

Frank said...

You've done a great job changing your diet. It will really make you feel better all around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...