Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 11: The Last Book(s) I’ve Read - 31 Day Blog Challenge

Ever since I was a little girl one of my favorite things to do was read. It was easy to fall in love with books in my house growing up as both of my parents had a collection so large it could rival a small bookstore. They had just as many children's books (if not more) as they had adult books. Every bedroom had a bookcase full of books and our family room had three. It's no secret that my house is slowly becoming this as well. I cannot count how many books my daughter currently has in her own collection and if I had to guess I would say at least 100. We love to read.

With such busy schedules it's hard to find time to read or even for my eyes to be able to read with the amount of proof reading I do at work. But I've managed to find time for it every Monday. While my daughter is in her ballet class I sit in the waiting room with a book in my lap and just read as the classical music streams into the room.

I'm currently reading Elizabeth Bard's, Lunch in Paris: A Love Story with Recipes. I'm actually just a few chapters away from being done. I haven't made up my mind about it yet. The imagery of the life in Paris and the amazingly mouthwatering descriptions of the food are probably my favorite parts. But it's also a memoir of an American girl who ironically comes from my home state of New Jersey so I do connect with her on that level as she describes her life growing up in the 'burbs in the shadow on New York City. I'm usually undecided about books though until I finish them and let them bounce around in my head for a few days. The ending is always the part that counts the most.




I have a few more books on my to-read list which is also a task on my 30 Before 30 List. With one book almost done I need to make the time to read at least five more in the next 8 months. These are a few on my book list:
  1. Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan
  2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - I heard this was going to be adapted to film which means I better read it soon. Films are never as good as the book.
  3. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter - I think I'm going to read this one next.
  4. Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann
  5. The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald - One of my favorite authors.
  6. Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk - Another one of my favorite authors, and one of my favorite books. I've read it twice already and feel I need to read it again.
  7. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann - I've been wanting to read this one for a while.
 
********
 
Join the 31 Day Blog Challenge!


Are you keeping up with the challenge? Head over to Fabulous Finds by Tiffany to link up and read about what other bloggers are reading. Or you can check out my past Blog Challenge posts here:

4 comments:

Cristy S said...

The book you are currently reading sounds intriguing. I have put it on my list. My house is the same way, we have books everywhere, my daughter with the most.

Frank said...

Yes, so many books we have that I want to read but hard finding the time. Proud of you. ;)

Tami @ Mixed Media Life said...

Ohh I love Lunch in Paris. I've tried most of the recipes with great success - and let me tell you I'm usually not good in the kitchen. :) Check out her Facebook page - great community - it's like never having to put the book down.

Unknown said...

Tami - That's good to know! I bookmarked a few of the recipes already. I didn't know she had a page! I'm definitely checking that out. Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...