Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Number 17: 30 Before 30

Compiling my “30 Before 30” list was a lot more challenging than I had imagined it to be. I created the list to send off my 20s feeling accomplished and give some meaning to the day of the big 3-0. I wanted my 30 things to be of meaning to me, to challenge me and spice up my last year in my 20s. My list began as a list of things I love doing that I never make time for. And that’s when I realized that the list was too easy to achieve.
 
I really wanted to test myself and set some personal goals that would require some real effort to accomplish. So I thought about things I hate to do and the first thing that came to mind was running. I absolutely loathe it! I find no enjoyment in it whatsoever. I feel like I’m dying when I run (yes, a tad dramatic). Don’t get me wrong, I can power walk in a pair of five-inch platform stilettos like it’s nobody’s business. But running? Ugh! So onto the list it went. “Run a 5k.” And for me, that’s no easy feat.
 
As much as I hate running I decided to have fun with it. I signed up for “The Color Run 5k” after a recommendation from my friend Allison.  Any 5k described as “the happiest 5k on the planet” was worth a shot. And then I decided to ask my sister and two cousins to join me to form a team. I knew I would need a lot of motivation to do this so having them by my side was probably the only way I actually would follow through on it.
 
The training was horrid. I hated every minute of it. I started running in the spring using the “Couch to 5k” app for iPhone. At the beginning of my training I was fine because I was also using the elliptical and going for daily walks on my lunch break at work. But then I sprained my back in a car accident and sidelined the running for two months. When I started again (I am not proud to say this) I complained… ALOT. Oh boy was I miserable on those few runs I actually did take leading up to the race.
 
But guess what? I DID IT! We did it, all four of us. Well, 5 of us, because my cousin’s husband ran with us, motivated us, and of course took some lovely pictures of us getting “colored” during the run. Going into the race I did not expect to finish, let alone run the entire thing. But it was so much fun! Yes, those are words even I can’t believe came out of my mouth that day.
 
It was a great feeling to cross the finish line covered in rainbow colors with my family by my side while my husband and daughter waited for me at the finish line. I really hope that by watching me run, my daughter can learn something about setting personal goals no matter the challenge they present. I am so thankful to my sister and cousins for running with me, and I am so ready for my next 5k with them…just not the training in between! 
 
Pre-race team photo
 
Post race colors!
 
Team Amazing Grey's

Time to celebrate

 Enjoying the post-race color party!!
 
Spreading color
 
The Color Run = Happy!

The Color Run 5k New Jersey event specifically partnered with a local charity called Back On My Feet - Philadelphia, a national non-profit organization that uses running to help those experiencing homelessness change the way they see themselves so they can make real change that results in employment and independent living.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...